Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Back to work...


Originally posted 11/11/09

Well this week I had to go back to work. To be honest, I was really excited about it....but keep in mind, I am working from home, so I still get to spend the day with Taryne. I am very lucky and thankful to have such a wonderful company that gives its employees the freedom to work from home when necessary. My actual maternity leave ended last week, but per FMLA, I can have another 4 weeks. I have chosen to take those 4 weeks, but I am working out of my house instead of the office.

I am also still on several wait lists for daycare. Daycare in College Station is a bit crazy. Most places, or at least places you would leave your child have about an 18 month wait list. So...are you supposed to get on the wait list before you are pregnant? We are hopeful to get in our #1 choice in January. However, it will most likely be part-time. But once she is in, then she is on the "priority" list for full time day care.

I am fortunate to have today off to celebrate Veteran's Day. Many people in our company either served in the military or their immediate family did or a close friend. I think it is great to observe this holiday...most companies/businesses do not. It is a great way for us to reflect on those who serve our country and thank them for their sacrifices. We often get preoccupied with the trivial things in life and forget about these people in harms way all over the world fighting for us to enjoy freedom and for our great country.

The holiday season is fast approaching. I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is in 2 weeks! And then Christmas will be here before you know it. I guess I need to start my shopping. I am excited for Taryne and her first Christmas. This is my favorite holiday!!

I am also a little sad at this time of year. I drove by campus the other day and I still think it is strange to not see a Bonfire being built. Next Wednesday, November 18 will mark the 10 year anniversary of the Bonfire tragedy. I did not work on Bonfire as a student, but it was a very big part of campus life. We try to go to the Student Bonfire every year. We will not be able to go this year because Taryne is a little too young...but next year I plan to bring her to her first Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire! For more info on Student Bonfire, go to www.studentbonfire.com.

This Saturday we take on Oklahoma...there. Maybe we will do well...they have not played to their normal OU potential this year. Until next time...Gig'em!

No comments:

School Field Trips

Both kids had field trips at the end of the year on the SAME day. Hayden's class visited a local pizza place, Dion's, and Taryne...