Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pizza...

I read lots of blogs...especially cooking and baking blogs. I love new ideas and great recipes. This week I decided to try the pizza recipe from Pioneer Woman's blog. So last night I made the dough so it would be ready for tonight.

The pizza recipe calls for eggplant as one of the toppings. Well, Kyle and I do not like eggplant. But the last time I remember eating eggplant was as a child and I think it was fried...so I really don't remember if I like it or not. Well, the recipe had instructions on how to get rid of the bitterness of the eggplant. So I thought..."maybe I might like eggplant...maybe I have always had it where the bitter juices were not removed". Long story short, I decided to add eggplant to the pizza.

I know Kyle prefers some sort of meat on his pizza so I browned some Italian sausage to crumble on one half of the pizza. On the other half I decided to do the eggplant and tomato toppings like the recipe.

I browned the Italian sausage...


So I sliced the eggplant and sprinkled with salt and let it sit for about 30 minutes...(I guess I didn't take a picture of the sliced eggplant...really thought I did...oh well)



Sliced the tomatoes in half and chopped garlic and tossed together...



I thinly sliced the ball of fresh mozzarella...well as thinly as I could...


I then put the pizza dough on the pan and added the mozzarella...


I roasted the veggies...



Added all the toppings to the pizza...



Baked and enjoyed the pizza with Kyle and a friend...

The veggie half...

The meat half...

It was the best pizza I have ever had...I really don't like sauce on pizza but I have always been to scared to order pizza without sauce thinking it would be awful....well I loved it without the sauce...I guess if you really wanted sauce you could add that, but it is wonderful just the way it is...I think I like eggplant...and even Kyle said he would eat the eggplant again...if I mixed it with some sort of meat.

The recipe can be found at the link at the top of this post or here. Until next time...Gig'em!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

This looks SO GOOD!! I have been on a pizza kick for the past several months...on the hunt for a good GF crust...finally found one. Now I will have to try these toppings!

Jen said...

That looks delicious! I love Pioneer Woman's cookbook!

School Field Trips

Both kids had field trips at the end of the year on the SAME day. Hayden's class visited a local pizza place, Dion's, and Taryne...