Well, as you can see, the costume is a bit more involved than I had wanted to deal with this fall. So I thought, if I can just find an inexpensive dress to start with, I think I can do the rest. Well, lucky me, I found the dress on ebay for just $7. A steal with cheap shipping.
I decided not to add all the glittery embellishments on the dress...then it would be difficult to clean if needed. She already had a pink tutu from the Target Dollar Spot section that was perfect for the little pink accent on the dress. I just cinched it up in the front and it was perfect. So the next major part was the peacock feathers. This posed a bit of a challenge. I decided I needed to make it with a wire form, I just wasn't sure if I should use coat hanger wire or something else. I also purchased some pink, blue and purple tulle to make the feathers. I had no idea how I was going to get it on the wire form.
Then I remembered the excellent site called Pinterest. I searched and watched videos on how to make butterfly and fairy wings. This gave me the idea for the final version: make the wire forms and use tights to cover the forms. I picked up three pairs of hot pink tights and some glitter in silver, blue and purple. After several hours of forming the hangers (had to use the heavier wire so the tights didn't collapse the wire form), stretching the tights, and adding the details, the peacock feathers were complete. Well, almost. We still had to assemble and figure out the best way to attach them to Taryne and her dress. We found some blue stretchy ribbon that matched her dress perfectly (how that happened I have no idea, but very thankful) and I made a little pocket (think holder like you would see for a flag bearer...sort of) to rest the feathers in since they were a bit heavy.
Okay, since Taryne was no longer going to be Tinkerbell, I felt no need for Hayden to be Peter Pan. So, we decided he would be Yoda. He was a super cute Yoda and best of all, I found his costume for a steal!
We managed to participate in 4 separate Halloween/Trick-or-Treating activities this Halloween season. We did Boo at the Zoo, a Halloween party by our apartment complex, a 4-H Trick-or-Treat on campus and then on Halloween, we went Trick-or-Treating in the mall.
| Hayden's 1st Halloween! |
And we can't forget our pumpkins! Taryne insisted that she have Hello Kitty on her pumpkin and she picked out Yoda for Hayden's pumpkin. I really like it when pumpkins are not completely cut out. I scraped the outer layer off and then scraped down the inside so the light will "glow" through. You really can't see the "glow" in the pictures, but they looked awesome! We won a free pizza for each pumpkin at our apartment pumpkin carving contest.
Happy Halloween 2012!!





No comments:
Post a Comment