Sunday, June 10, 2012

Long live the Queen!

If you know me, you know that I LOVE England. I have always been fascinated with its history and anything and everything about it. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend almost 2 weeks in England after my high school graduation. It was a whirlwind trip, but it was absolutely awesome. I have wanted to go back ever since. I know some might disagree with me, but I am pretty sure I could move there and be perfectly content.

I am not sure what fascinates me so much about the country, the beautiful landscapes, the history, the green pastures, Mary Poppins, the architecture, the accent. I just don't know.

Anyway, several years ago, my mom bought me a vanity dresser to take to college. It is one of those beautiful antique type dressers that can be a sitting table for applying make up as well. It has a beautiful mirror and even though the drawers are small, I have always  been able to store my small clothing items in the dresser just perfectly. Well, not long after she bought it, I decided to change out the drawer liners (because first of all, I had no idea who had been storing their clothes in it before) and under one of the liners, I found this:


It is a church booklet for the entire country for the Sunday preceding Her Majesty's Coronation. I felt like I had hit the jackpot! Then I started to wonder where this vanity had been, who had owned it and just how old was it.  I was excited by my find, but I have never taken the time to see if this booklet is valuable or just a nice collectible.

Fast forward to the last few months and we received this adorable onesie outfit with the British flag on it from some great friends. They have been very fortunate (and made me fairly jealous) to spend the past semester in London. The outfit is size 6 months and since Hayden seems to be a "healthy" baby, he can easily fit into this outfit. And looks absolutely adorable I might add.



Well, as busy as I have been lately, I was totally out of the loop that the Queen's Diamond Jubilee was going on. I kept noticing British themed emails from various stores and Etsy, but it really didn't occur to me what was going on. Then I thought, "oh, it must be the Queen's birthday". And I told Kyle, maybe she is turning 100. I had to laugh at myself for that one. She was not turning 100 but the celebration was for her reigning for 60 years.

So...the next day, it hit me. I had this booklet from the Queen's coronation. Suddenly, it seemed so significant and important. I searched and searched for that booklet in every nook and cranny, box, drawer or random place I would stash things and I could not find it. Anywhere. I finally went through a box of old magazines and newspapers that have sentimental value to me for one reason or another (have I mentioned I am a pack rat?) and I found it in that box. Thank goodness!! I would have been sick to my stomach had I lost that.

So...I guess there is no real point to my long story except that I love history and have a fascination with Britain. But I thought it was an interesting find and I wanted to share a small piece of history that I just happened upon several years ago. I know there will be at least one of my readers that will appreciate my find...and this post.

Until next time...Gig'em!

No comments:

School Field Trips

Both kids had field trips at the end of the year on the SAME day. Hayden's class visited a local pizza place, Dion's, and Taryne...